In a market where high wattage mods rule the vaping market, there are a few less powerful devices like cig-a-likes and vape pods that still pop up here and there.
One of the more popular ones is the JUUL by Pax Labs.
Who is Pax Labs?
While relatively new to the vaping scene, Pax Labs have been making a name for themselves in the dry content vapourizer market and they are well known for the massively popular Pax and Pax 2 Vapourizer.
Trying their hand out in e-cigarettes, the company has come out with the elegantly designed JUUL.
Let’s take a closer look at it…
PACKAGING & DESIGN
The JUUL comes in a simple box that contains one JUUL device, one 4-pack of JUULpods, a USB charger, and a one year warranty card.
The JUUL looks unique as compared to other cig-a-likes, eschewing the typical cylindrical shape for a rectangular one. It is shorter than other cig-a-likes as well and is made of metal as opposed to the usual plastic.
There are no buttons anywhere since it is an automatic device, which gives it a sleek overall appearance. There is a small USB port on the bottom for charging though.
The starting price for a kit is a little on the expensive side, but after the initial purchase, it will be cheaper than buying traditional cigarettes.
- 1 x rechargeable JUUL device
- 1 x Multi JUULpod 4-pack
- 1 x USB charger
- 1 year device warranty
The JUUL is a very simple device and dead simple to use.
After fully charging the unit, you simply snap on one of the included JUULpods and start vaping on it.
You don’t need to actuate any buttons for the device to start working, since it automatically starts once you inhale.
There is a sensor in the unit that detects draws and activates the battery.
Though the shape may seem odd at first when you first put it in your mouth, once you get used to it the experience itself is very close to smoking an actual cigarette.
The JUUL is a strictly mouth-to-lung affair mainly aimed at beginners who want to quit smoking. It’s not an advanced mod so you should not expect huge plumes of vapor.
You can learn more about how you can quit smoking with electronic cigarettes here.
The throat hit is impressive given the high nicotine content of the JUULpods at 59mg. But I did notice that it is a little lacking in flavor when compared to some other cig-a-likes I’ve tried like the Jac Vapor V1p+ PCC for instance.
Given the amount of nicotine in the JUULpods, you may want to consider counting the number of draws you take to ensure you don’t take in too much nicotine.
You should try not to take in more nicotine than you actually need, and this will come with trial and error.
The JUUL is a closed system, which basically means that you can only use JUULpods and you won’t be able to swap out the batteries.
As far as functionality goes, the JUUL doesn’t do much.
Flavor and vapor leaves much to be desired. However, as a smoking cessation tool, the high nicotine content, in addition to the ease of use of the whole system makes this a very good device to use to help you get of the stinkies.
Some experienced vapers use it as a back-up, and this really just comes down to personal preference.
I’m not a fan of cig-a-likes because they never worked out for me. This is not to say they won’t work for you though. There are a lot of vapers (new and old) who either prefer this method or like to switch from direct lung to mouth-to-lung vaping.
When it comes to battery life, they claim that a full charge can last up to 200 puffs.
This is fairly accurate as this is more or less the amount of puffs I got before needing a recharge.
Not much else is mentioned about the battery. There’s no info on the type of battery or how many mAh it has, but for what it is, it works just about right.
Charging is done via USB, and the included charger is cable-free.
The JUUL uses a proprietary tank system called JUULpods.
These are disposable tanks that house e-liquid. The JUULpods aren’t that large, and a full tank contains 0.7ml of e-juice and lasts about two days with regular use.
While designed to be disposable, some enterprising individuals found a way to refill these simply by removing the plastic cover and rubber grommet.
You can add in your own e-juice if you want, but if you’re looking to replicate the same throat hit, you should use e-liquid that has a high nicotine content if you’re able to find any.
- JUULpods get loose over time – If you swap out the JUULpods often, they can easily get loose over time
- Limited Flavors – While Pax tries to add flavors every so often, the current number available on the market today is a bit limited
- Pod’s Eliquid Capacity – Being a small device using small pods, the capacity is not too high, with a full pod lasting just two days
- Kit Can Be Expensive – The initial purchase can cost a bit on the high side
- Flavor – The throat hit is excellent, but flavor could be stronger
- Size – The JUUL is an elegantly designed device that’s small and compact, making it easy to transport and use discreetly
- Ideal device for Mouth-to-Lung Vaping
- Akin to Smoking Actual Cigarettes – The feel, size, draw, and throat hit makes the JUUL one of the few ecigarettes in the market that actually makes you feel like you are smoking an actual cigarette
- Throat Hit – The throat hit is strong and punchy, better than any other cig-a-like in the market I’ve tried
- Less Expensive than Smoking – While the initial kit can be expensive, in the long run, using the JUUL is cheaper than buying actual cigarettes
- Easy To Use – Without any buttons to fiddle with, the JUUL is a true “plug and play” device
- Small and compact – It’s so small you’ll fit it almost anywhere. Perfect if you’re on the go.
SHOULD YOU GET THE JUUL?
The JUUL is a simple, easy to use, smoking cessation tool that hits like a champ.
While the strength of the flavor is not up to par, it’s worth remembering that this is an entry level device and not an advance mod with an open tank system.
The initial purchase of the kit is a little pricey, but it won’t take long to save you money compare to buying cigarettes.
I see a lot of other review sites raving about it like it’s the best thing since sliced bread.
Quite frankly, I don’t think it’s that amazing, but it’s a decent kit, especially for beginners.
I’d be more likely to recommend the JUUL if you’re a heavy smoker or used to a really high nicotine intake.